Changelog for Opera 8.0 Technical Preview 1 for Mac
- Build: 1945
- Released: January 7, 2005
Changes Since 7.54u1
At first glance
- Improved user interface
- More workspace in the default setup.
- Cleaner menu setup and dynamic display of messaging features.
- Notification of blocked pop-ups.
- Simple retrieval of closed pages and blocked pop-ups.
- New start bar gives easy access to useful features.
- "Fit to window width" feature removes the horizontal scrollbar.
- "Fit to page width" feature improves printing.
- Enhanced RSS newsfeed reader is available without activating e-mail client.
- Support for XMLHttpRequest; Gmail Web mail is fully supported.
- Huge performance improvements.
- Improved stability.
- Added ability to check spelling in textareas and Opera Mail. As it's based on the system spelling checker, no additional programs are needed.
- Fixed daylight savings time offset problems in Opera Mail.
- Fixed problem where typed URL opened in a background page.
- Added ability to drag files into Opera Mail composition window attachment list.
- Better support for dragging images in OS 10.2 and later.
- Made tooltips slightly transparent.
- Activated auto-proxy detection.
- Improved dynamic UI changes (i.e. menu bar changes).
- Printing page ranges should work now.
- Correctly set default values for the print settings.
- Fixed problem where some menu items stopped working after a period of time.
- Mouse gestures will work again for users without two-button mice.
- Extensive simplification of menus and dialogs. The menu and panel setup is now dynamic and depends on what features the user has activated:
- The "Mail" and "Chat" menus and panels are added as e-mail and chat accounts are set up by the user. Account handling is now available in the "Tools" menu.
- A separate "Feeds" menu is added when the user adds an RSS newsfeed for the first time.
- The contacts panel is only displayed if e-mail or chat accounts exist.
- Removed "Navigation" menu.
- Added trash can button on the page bar that notifies of blocked pop-ups and doubles as a repository for closed pages that can be retrieved.
- Unwanted pop-ups are now blocked by default.
- Added start bar that drops down from the address field when it is focused. Contains various options for navigation and search.
- Added view bar toggled by the eye button on the address bar. Contains new "fit to window width" feature, search in page, and styling/zooming options.
- New customization dialog (
) includes customization of panel setup.
- New "Delete private data" dialog has simple and advanced options.
- "Continue from last time" is now the default start-up setting.
- In the default setup, each tab on the page bar has its own "Close" button.
- Swapped F4 with Shift + F4 for toggling panels. F4 now toggles the panels with the panel selector.
- Added Cmd + F12 and Shift + F12 as keyboard shortcuts for the Preferences and Customize dialogs, respectively.
- The "in-line find" option for search in page has been moved to the search preferences.
- Added setting for (dis-)allowing scripts to hide the address bar. Available in
- Fixed problem selecting the first letter of a text selection with the mouse.
- Fixed problem where form element status was forgotten when toggling print preview.
Display and standards support
- Implemented Opera's Extensible Rendering Architecture (ERA):
- Added "Fit to window width" feature. Available on Web pages and for printing, this setting squeezes page contents to make them fit the width of the screen and avoid horizontal scrolling or margin overflow.
- The "Small screen" mode now includes more of the page's original styling.
- Support for XMLHttpRequest, required for using Gmail Web mail. Also added support for XMLSerializer and DOMParser.
- Support for DOM3 Load and Save.
- Transparent background (wmode) support for plug-ins.
- Changed calculated line height to be based on actual font size rather than specified font size.
- Fixed handling of nested floats.
- Several fixes related to bidirectional text support.
- Allow mixing of background-position and keyword, in accordance with CSS2.1.
- Borders on text fields can be removed with CSS.
- Improved handling of paged media.
- Recognize "application/vnd.wap.xhtml+xml" documents as handheld.
Messaging and newsfeeds
- When a page has embedded links for one or several RSS newsfeeds, an RSS icon is displayed within the address field. Click on the icon to subscribe or get a multiple choice menu if several newsfeed links are present. Improved "Add newsfeed?" dialog.
- Separate "Feeds" menu is added to Opera's main menu when first newsfeed is activated. Newsfeeds can now be read independently of the mail panel.
- Improved consistency of newsfeed checking.
- Added options to mark message threads as read (keyboard shortcut M) and go to next unread thread (shortcut N.
- Several improvements to quick reply: expand automatically when typing multiple lines, handle one draft per message, and reset focus to message list after replying.
- Chat improvements:
- Status is now set globally in the chat menu.
- Added "ban" and "kick with reason" commands, as well as typed "/invite" command.
- Support for links/URLs using "irc://".
- List of servers updated and expanded.
- Help documents are now on line, still accessible from the menu or by pressing Cmd+?.
- Implemented in-line error pages that replace most error dialogs.
- Help files and error pages have the CSS signatures "opera-help" and "opera-error".
- Manual "Check for new release" option added to help menu.
- Fixed authentication issue; pages can now be authenticated in any sequence.
- Fix to restore previous default file settings after uninstalling Opera.